Effective Date: August 11, 2016
WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Information you give us. When you register at the Site, we ask you for your personal information like your name, company name, industry, postal or email address, and employment history. You may choose to import your information from a third party social network site like LinkedIn, subject to that site’s user agreement. We receive any information you post on this Site, such as on chats or message board pages. We may also ask you to provide information in connection with any inquiries, information requests, and any feedback related to this Site, that you may submit.
Information from your use of this Site. We may automatically receive information when you visit our site. This includes technical information, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, the type of browser you are using, the date and time of your visit, and the web page you have visited immediately prior to visiting this Site, and other anonymous data involving your use of our websites. Cookies, pixel tags, web beacons, clear GIFs or other similar technologies may be used in connection with some Site pages and HTML-formatted email messages to, among other things, track the actions of Site users and email recipients, measure the success of our communications and compile statistics about Site usage and response rates.
We may use session and persistent cookies, pixel tags, web beacons, clear GIFs, and local shared objects (such as HTML5) hereinafter referred to as “cookies,” in connection with the Site. Session cookies are temporary cookies that last only until you close the browser. Persistent cookies remain on your hard drive or device until you erase them or they expire. Both session and persistent cookies may be used in connection with the Site. These technologies are used for a variety of purposes, including, without limitation, to facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, to better serve you with more tailored information, for security purposes, as well as for online tracking purposes such as online and mobile advertisement exposure. We may also use these technologies to gather statistical information about the usage of the Site in order to continually improve the design and functionality, to understand how users use the Site, and to assist us with resolving questions regarding the Site.
This Site is hosted by Conenza; for more information on Conenza cookies, please visit https://www.conenza.com/privacy.
In order to enable users to register or login with their existing social network accounts and share content from the site or their activities with other users, we use Janrain cookies. For more information, please visit http://janrain.com/janrain-privacy-statement/.
We use Google Analytics to help us understand how users engage with the Site. For more information, please visit https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245.
To opt out of Nielsen’s digital measurement research on your browser, please visit http://www.nielsen.com/content/corporate/policy/en/cookie-policy.html
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION
We may use the information you voluntarily give us:
- To administer your membership and use of the site as a member or the Nielsen Alumni Network.
- To enable other users to search for and locate you via the Nielsen Alumni Network directory.
- Primarily, to provide our users with a customized experience on our site, including personalization services such as News and Events and interactive communications.
- To research and analyze our users' demographics, interests and behavior in an aggregated form to better understand and serve our users and improve our site and its offerings.
- To contact you periodically with communications about events, publications or employment opportunities with Nielsen, which we feel might interest you, unless you ask not to be contacted. You will have an opportunity to opt out of receiving further messages.
- To share with other internal Nielsen systems, specifically our internal sales tool (salesforce.com), to contact you with industry relevant information.
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests.
- To send you important information regarding the Site, changes to our terms, conditions, and policies and/or other administrative information.
- To send you commercial communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, developing new products, enhancing our Site, improving our services, identifying usage trends and determining the effectiveness of our communications.
- We may also use data for other purposes, which we would always describe to you when we collect the information.
We may use and disclose this information consistent with local law.
If we combine non-personal information (information that does not personally identify you) with personal information (such as combining your name with your geographical location), the combined information will be treated by us as personal information as long as it is combined.
WHEN WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION
We may share your information:
- With our third party service providers who provide services such as website hosting, data analysis, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer service, email delivery services, auditing services and other similar services to enable them to provide services.
- To identify you to anyone to whom you send messages through the Site.
- Generated by you, on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and materials. Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public information, and may be available to visitors to the Site and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your personal information, or any other information, on the Site.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
THIRD PARTY SITES
We use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal information under our control. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet or data storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
When you register, your name appears in the Alumni Directory and is visible to other registered members of the Nielsen Alumni community. When you complete your profile following registration, you may choose which pieces of information are visible in the directory using the "Show" feature. You may change this at any time by editing your profile using the "My Profile" function.
You are entitled to know what information we hold about you and to have access to that information. You can access, edit or correct the information in your profile at any time. If you would like to suppress, delete or otherwise limit our use of your personal information that has been previously provided to us you may contact us.
If you no longer want to receive electronic newsletters, marketing communications, and other communications related to other products or services offered by us, you can click on the “unsubscribe” link available in each email or contact us and request to be removed from our email marketing database. We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out as described above, we will not be able to remove your personal information from the databases of our affiliates with which we have already shared it. Please also note that if you do opt-out of receiving marketing-related messages from us, we may still send you important administrative messages as part of your ongoing use of our products or services.
USE OF SITE BY MINORS
The Site is not directed to minors, and we request that persons under 18 not provide personal information through the Site.
Your personal information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities, and by using our Site you consent to the transfer of your personal information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose to us any sensitive personal information (e.g., information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Site or otherwise.
Please note that online communications are not always secure; so please do not include sensitive information in your inquiry to us.
Nielsen (NYSE: NLSN) is a global information and measurement company with leading market positions in marketing and consumer information, television and other media measurement, online intelligence, mobile measurement, and related assets. The company has a presence in approximately 100 countries, with headquarters in New York, USA. For more information please visit www.nielsen.com.